CYE HOMESCHOOLERS: All Religious Education textbooks used in the Diocese of Harrisburg must be found to be in conformity with the Catechism of the Catholic Church and listed on the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB), Office for the Catechism.
The Office of Religious Education is responsible by Diocesan regulation for tracking all catechetical education and is here to support you. Please contact us if you intend to home school. We can provide you with approved curricula list from the USCCB and assist you with the Diocesan guidelines for Sacramental Preparation.
FOR BIBLE OR CATECHISM READING IN A YEAR
(READING ONLY, NOT LISTENING):
Daily Bible Reading and or/the Catechism of the Catholic Church–
a New Years Resolution
St. Jerome, who translated the Bible into Latin – the Vulgate, stated, “Not to know the Bible is not to know Jesus Christ.” What an opportunity this New Year brings to know Jesus Christ and God’s Word better by reading the Bible from cover to cover. All it takes is reading 15 minutes daily – by doing so, you will have read the entire Bible in one year. A Bible Reading Guide is available by clicking on the Download button below.
If you read the paragraphs listed each day you will: (1) read the entire Catechism of the Catholic Church in one year; (2) read from all four parts of the Catechism almost every week; (3) be well versed in the teachings of the Church; and (4) be drawn even closer to God and His Church. Most days we stop reading at a natural break point. So now the 2,557 paragraphs in the Catechism just don’t seem so intimidating when we take it one day at a time! Won’t you join me?
Also, for those who want to study the Bible and the Catechism of the Catholic Church at the same time, Read the Bible and the Catechism in a Year, by CH Resources, will be available in the back of the Church on white flyers.
What an opportunity this New Year brings to know Jesus Christ and God’s Word better by reading the Bible from cover to cover.
Here is a 52-week Catechism reading plan:
YOUCAT/ Youth Catechism of the Catholic Church
The Youth Catechism, which is written in language suitable for young people, deals with the entire Catholic faith as it was presented in the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC of 1997).
Join us for The Catechism in a Year (with Fr. Mike Schmitz)!
With this podcast, Catholics will:
- Read the entire Catechism of the Catholic Church in 365 days
- Understand the essentials of the Catholic Faith and why they matter
- See how Church teaching is rooted in Sacred Scripture
- Absorb over 2,000 years of Sacred Tradition
- Encounter God’s plan of sheer goodness
- Transform their relationship with the Church that Christ founded.
If you have ever wanted to understand what it means to be Catholic and allow those truths to shape your life—this podcast is for you! Here is the link!
- If you’ve struggled to read the Bible, this VERY POPULAR podcast is for you.
- Ascension’s Bible in a Year Podcast, hosted by Fr. Mike Schmitz and featuring Jeff Cavins, guides Catholics through the Bible in 365 daily episodes starting January 1st, 2021.
- Each 20-25 minute episode includes:
- Two to three scripture readings
- A reflection from Fr. Mike Schmitz
- A guided prayer to help you hear God’s voice in his Word
- Unlike any other Bible podcast, Ascension’s Bible in a Year Podcast for Catholics follows a reading plan inspired by the Great Adventure Bible Timeline® learning system, a groundbreaking approach to understanding Salvation History developed by renowned Catholic Bible teacher Jeff Cavins.
- Tune in and live your daily life through the lens of God’s word!
- Follow along without an app! Here is the link to the podcast.